Last Sunday I participated in the AHA heart mini. I ran the 1/2 marathon, the first time they've offered this length of an event. Usually the events are 5k, 10k, or 15k. I have to admit that this course was very challenging. So many hills!!! At one point I think I could have walked up a hill more quickly than I was running. After combating the hills of Cincinnati we headed across the bridge to newport, KY to run a few miles then head back across another bridge to downtown before we finished. (The bridges added more hill work.)
If the hills weren't enough a challenge we also had a bit of rain. About an hour before the event was scheduled to start I arrived downtown and then rain started. Luckily, I had an emergency poncho with me in my handy dandy duffle bag. After about mile 1-2 the rained died down and it was just cloudy and cool the rest of the race. After the race the rain started again. It was a perfect window of dryness. I'm so glad I finished before it started coming down again.
Overall, it was a great race. Even with all the hills I set a new PR of 2:01:36. Totally surprised myself! I think the extra strength training is paying off!!! I think I'm in a good place for training for my next marathon....the disney world marathon Jan. 2012!
- Mary P. Lee
- Cincinnati, OH, United States
- I'm a scientist , yogi, book worm, scifi junk, and I'm a little obsessed with my pup. My life is full of discovery both in the lab and out of the lab. This blog is my place to share my experiences as a person trying to stay happy and healthy in this crazy world.
Friday, March 18, 2011
- Valentine's day...Jonah and I had brunch at Nada in downtown Cincy and attended the Cincinnati Ballet's A midsummer night's dream! It's was fantastic.
- Committee meeting with the advisory committee of professors to give an update on my research and progress. I received some great constructive comments and confirmation that I'm on track for my Ph.D.
- Helped with Saturday science, a day where middle school kids learn about development and have a lab day.
- Bridal shower hosted by my amazing friends Lauren and Morgan. Lots of delicious food, visiting with family and friends, and fun gifts.
- Registered for the Disney World Marathon (Jan. 8, 2012). Hooray for a disney adventure.
- Nearly done with all the wedding details. I just have a few reception things to assemble and print in the coming weeks.
The image for the post is of a centerpiece made with a ball jar, an inspiration image for our centerpieces of our wedding. (We met at Ball State :)) This weekend will be full of wedding preparation and a fun half-marathon benefiting American Heart Association!