About Me...

My photo
Cincinnati, OH, United States
I'm a scientist , yogi, book worm, scifi junk, and I'm a little obsessed with my pup. My life is full of discovery both in the lab and out of the lab. This blog is my place to share my experiences as a person trying to stay happy and healthy in this crazy world.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Leaving a Legacy...

Toas, New Mexico
My life is on a ledge, and I'm not sure where the fall will take me.  I'm trying to complete my PhD in Molecular and Developmental Biology while looking for a post-doctoral position in a city that will also have job opportunities for my husband.

In the midst of all this positioning for change I've been introspective about what kind of legacy I want to leave with my life.  Kimberly Wilson provides a great starting point for brainstorming and organizing your life vision of and the legacy you hope to leave in her book hip tranquil chick.

I've used the tools in this book to aid my thoughts.  First, I wrote a list of the things I want out of life including aspects related to personal, health, and career.  Here are a few:
  • Maintain a strong relationship with open communication with Jonah that adapts to what life throws at us.  
  • Share activities with friends.
  • A research position where I can work productively with passion and balance a family.
  • Healthy, organic eating to maintain health into advanced age.
  • Active lifestyle filled with many outdoor activities. 
Next, I made a list of causes that inspire me such as the SPCA, fitness for children, gay marriage, and nutritional education.  Then, a list of my strengths and values that I feel embody me.  After all this brainstorming I've created two vision statements that are representations of the life I want to live in order to accomplish the legacy I see myself leaving behind.

I wanted to share here the overarching vision statement I created, the other one is much more in depth in regards to each aspect of my life.  Here is my vision statement:

I will pursue a life of adventure with those I love.  I will seek to be a woman of integrity both professionally and personally, and have strength both physically and mentally.  I will do all this while exuding gratitude for all the people in my life.  

Do I live all these values every day/every minute?  Honestly, no.  These are the goals and things I'm striving towards, but having a written reminder is always a motivator when things get tough.  


No comments:

Post a Comment