About Me...

My photo
Cincinnati, OH, United States
I'm a scientist , yogi, book worm, scifi junk, and I'm a little obsessed with my pup. My life is full of discovery both in the lab and out of the lab. This blog is my place to share my experiences as a person trying to stay happy and healthy in this crazy world.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

AHA heart mini



One cause that's very near and dear to me is heart research.  Nearly a quarter of all congenital heart anomalies are heart valve malformations.  As a heart researcher myself, I understand the need for contributions to organizations that fund this critical researcher.  I investigate gene regulation during heart valve development.  I chose to do heart valve development research because my Grandmother had her aortic valve replaced at age 60, and so have several of my great-aunts and great-uncles.  In a way, my research is helping me understand a disease that directly affects my family members and potentially me.  Also, as a member of Alpha Phi Fraternity and a regular contributer to the Alpha Phi Foundation, who is the largest supporter of women's heart disease research, heart disease advocacy has been a part of my life for nearly 10 years now!

This year one of my goals is to run a race where I can raise money for a cause that means a lot to me.  Hopefully, accomplishing a goal early in the year will help motivate me for all the other goals I've set for the year.

Please consider contributing even just a couple dollars to this cause for those that you know that are impacted by heart disease or congenital heart malformations!

Thanks everyone!!

_Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment