About Me...

My photo
Cincinnati, OH, United States
I'm a scientist , yogi, book worm, scifi junk, and I'm a little obsessed with my pup. My life is full of discovery both in the lab and out of the lab. This blog is my place to share my experiences as a person trying to stay happy and healthy in this crazy world.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Holiday snacks that are healthy and not....

This is my healthy go to snack...
Homemade chewy granola bars! These granola bars are inspired by the whole foods recipe for chewy granola balls.  
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup toasted coconut (toasted for about 5 minutes at 350F)
1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup nuts (I used part peanut and part almonds, which is what I had on hand)
1/2 cup honey

Warm almond butter and honey in sauce pan and once the ingredients are warm and mixed then add the additional goodies. 

Spread the mixture out on foil/parchment paper and allow to cool.  Then, cut into bars and enjoy!

Now onto the yummy not so healthy holiday snack.  Peppermint bark!!! Peppermint bark is very easy to make.  


2 packages dark melting chocolate
2 packages vanilla melting chocolate/candy coating
1 package candy canes (crushed)

Melt dark chocolate in saucepan on low heat then spread out in a 1/4 layer sheet on aluminum foil/parchment paper and let it cool. 

Then, do the same thing with the vanilla candy coating and pour on top of the dark chocolate. 

While the top layer of melting chocolate is still warm add the crushed up candy canes. You can also add some of the very finely crushed candy canes to the vanilla melting choc  before pouring over the dark chocolate.  We found that using a blender to crush the candy canes works very well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment