About Me...

My photo
Cincinnati, OH, United States
I'm a scientist , yogi, book worm, scifi junk, and I'm a little obsessed with my pup. My life is full of discovery both in the lab and out of the lab. This blog is my place to share my experiences as a person trying to stay happy and healthy in this crazy world.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Paving the way to the Disney Marathon...

Yesterday I completed the last REALLY long training run in preparation for the Disney marathon.  Let's just say I'm paving the way with my blood, sweat, and tears.

After doing 4 hours of yoga at a yoga bootcamp on Saturday I was just a bit sore on Sunday, so I decided to put my 20 mile run off until Monday before work.  I set my alarm for 3:30 a.m.!! to eat something and head out bright and early.  I was out on the road by 5 am.

Hesitant is not even close to how I felt, more like terrified!  Earlier in the week my hip had been so tight that it was painful to run more than 13 minute miles for 3 miles.  After loads of massaging with lacrosse balls, foam roller, and yoga my hip finally relaxed.  I keep blaming my hip....really it was my back....I've said it before...I like to pretend I don't have a back problem.  I had to have a discussion with myself last week and face the music!

I completed the 20 miles averaging about 11 minute miles, although slower than I usually run I was just happy to get it finished.

Today all the physical activities have culminated into screaming quads and hamstrings.  I'm dreaming of my massage tomorrow evening!  Now, it's taper time the best and worst part of marathon training.  Tapering requires a lot of mental toughness and confidence in your training.

Less than 3 weeks until Disney, and I get to see Mickey in real life!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment