About Me...

My photo
Cincinnati, OH, United States
I'm a scientist , yogi, book worm, scifi junk, and I'm a little obsessed with my pup. My life is full of discovery both in the lab and out of the lab. This blog is my place to share my experiences as a person trying to stay happy and healthy in this crazy world.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Plant a seed and watch it grow...




Today, since it's spring and beautiful weather, I'm planting my city version of a garden.  Living in a small apartment in central Cincinnati with no balcony limits my possibilities for a garden.  I like to think that nothing is impossible.  Last year I set out to turn my thumbs green.  I started with growing chives, sweet basil, and rosemary in my kitchen window.  Although the rosemary ended up not doing  so well, the chives and sweet basil are STILL alive and I use them regularly when I'm cooking-they are pictured on the left, and on the right you will see up close Lenny the Lawn Gnome who keeps the chives company.  .  (These hearty little plants even survived a 10 day vacation with no watering and a white fly infestation!)

This year I'm taking on the challenge of growing vegetables/fruit.  I'm going to try to grow tomatoes and mixed greens lettuce.  I've included some images of planting adventure, and my mini garden in the window.

My tools for the day's adventure.  

Here are a few of my pots ready to be put into a window in the apt.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will grow. 
These are the pots that I planted and will stay in the kitchen window with the pots from last year.  



In case you were wondering  how I got rid of the white fly infestation.  Well, after extensive searching online for natural ways to get rid of them I found a very simple solution.  Mix a small amount of dish soap with water in a spray bottle and spray this on the plant every 2 days.  The flies grow on the leaves so make sure you get the underneath of the leafy plants as well.  

Here's to a great growing season!  


P.S. The tulips all over town are blossoming and they are beautiful!  It makes it rather hard to be frustrated when I go outside and see all the vibrantly colorful flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment