About Me...

My photo
Cincinnati, OH, United States
I'm a scientist , yogi, book worm, scifi junk, and I'm a little obsessed with my pup. My life is full of discovery both in the lab and out of the lab. This blog is my place to share my experiences as a person trying to stay happy and healthy in this crazy world.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Help review...

As I mentioned last week, I'm a heavy consumer of literature, especially during the summer.  There was one book on my summer reading list that I was very excited to get around to reading, since so many people said it was a wonderful read.  (I was also a little nervous that my expectations were too high and I might not enjoy it as much as I should have.)  This book was.... The Help by Kathryn Stockett.

The writer was able to portray the emotion and turmoil of each race during the 1960s.  In addition to the deep emotions there is also some comical antics.  The Help is about the maids of Jackson, Mississippi from their point of view and the point of view of an educated mold breaking, wealthy southern 20-something who refuses to follow the crowd, who was mostly raised by and deeply loved her maid. 

After completing the book this past weekend I had to see the movie adaptation.  Generally, movies based on novels are disappointing since the connection to the characters on film isn't as strong.  However, I was very pleased with the film.  There are a few minor changes, but they don't subtract from the overall story.  

If you need a final summer read or just a great book, I'd recommend the help.



No comments:

Post a Comment