About Me...

My photo
Cincinnati, OH, United States
I'm a scientist , yogi, book worm, scifi junk, and I'm a little obsessed with my pup. My life is full of discovery both in the lab and out of the lab. This blog is my place to share my experiences as a person trying to stay happy and healthy in this crazy world.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

mmmm gumbo.

This past weekend Jonah and I spent our time in Lexington and discovered the co-op organic/local food shop and the farmers market! While at the farmer's market I came across some amazing looking okra which inspired me to try to make gumbo.

I was able to get the rest of the ingredients at the farmer's market/co-op store/whole foods.

Chicken and Chorizo Gumbo

Veggies Chopped:
1 cup celery
1 cup green onions
1 cup green pepper
1 cup tomatoes
2 cups okra

Meat cubed:
brown chicken and chorizo (1/2 pound chicken and 2 chorizo links) in a skillet with a little olive oil and add 3 tablespoons of flour, salt and pepper.

To slow cooker or large soup pot:
Add all veggies and meats
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
Hot sauce to taste

(I used a slow cooker and let it cook all day.)

To serve: Prepare brown rice and add to a bowl then add gumbo over rice....yum, enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment